Jake Zavracky Writes About This Week's Hot 100, Millions Rejoice Part 3.

In 2018 I will answer the burning question in every American's mind: What does Jake Zavracky think about this weeks top ten? I will answer this question bi-weekly. You're welcome America. Now these successful millionaires will feel the sting of my barbs and it will probably challenge them to do better, which is my aim.

1: God's Plan: Drake; and 7: Diplomatic Immunity: Drake

This is from Drake's new EP "Scary Hours". It has two songs on it. Is that an EP? Both songs are in the top ten this week, which really demonstrates how huge Drake is since neither song sounds like an obvious hit. "God's Plan" is the more accessible of the two, and it's a quality banger, but I doubt it will stay at number one for very long. "Diplomatic Immunity" sounds like a b-side. I doubt it will even be in the top 20 next week.

2: Perfect: Ed Sheeran
I'm confused: last time I wrote about this song the artists were Ed Sheeran feat. Beyonce, and it is simply Ed Sheeran now. All evidence that it was ever Ed Sheeran feat. Beyonce seems to have been scrubbed from the internet. You think Trump is involved? Or the deep state? The question is: can two different versions of the same song chart interchangeably? I don't think that's ever been the case before. Beyonce's version is not available on Spotify, whose streams are a large factor in determining chart position, perhaps that plays into this. What's going on here?

3: Havana: Camila Cabello Featuring Young Thug

This song got to number one last week which is nice. 

4: Rockstar: Post Malone Featuring 21 Savage

I'm not sure there's ever been more of a Hot 100 mystery than this song's enduring success.

5: Finesse: Bruno Mars & Cardi B

This is great, so listenable. It sounds quite a bit like "Every Little Step" by Bobby Brown but it's far from a rip-off. 

6: Bad At Love: Halsey

I like 

8: New Rules: Dua Lipa

This is a catchy tune that's been bubbling under for a while. Dua Lipa was on SNL last week so it might climb higher.

9: Thunder: Imagine Dragons

When I imagine dragons and thunder, a song that sounds like this isn't what comes to mind. They should have called themselves Imagine Boredom.

10: No Limit: G-Eazy Featuring A$AP Rocky & Cardi B

There seems to be an unusually high number of underwhelming white rappers infiltrating the Hot 100 lately. This tune is good, a little bland. It has a good beat and you can dance to it.

OTHER THINGS ABOUT THE HOT 100: NF: Let You Down: This guy is a "Christian rapper" which are two words that should never be next to each other. I can see this one going all the way to the top. Portugal The Man: Feel It Still: Seeing this band's name in the Hot 100 is truly odd. They've been around for years making music that sounds absolutely nothing like this song. But it's heartening to see a band that's been slugging it out in clubs for eons have a big breakthrough like this.   Justin Timberlake: Filthy: Wow this song really fell quickly. His album has gotten mostly bad-to-middling reviews and I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but it sounds to me like it's pretty good:  the songs at the beginning are pretty challenging and it mellows out towards the end. As I've said before, I don't like when Timberlake does his faux-street act: I find it distracting and totally unnecessary because his music doesn't need gimmicks. His sexual references often come off as cheesy, I could do with less of those too. So this song, Filthy, is sort of a throwaway for  me. It seems to me, however, that there are plenty of good tunes on the rest of the album.














Popular posts from this blog

WHAT AMERICA WANTS: THE TOP TEN SONGS IN THE NATION: WEEK ENDING MAR 7

PURPLE RAIN REVISITED: AN UNNECESSARILY EXHAUSTIVE ANALYSIS

JACK THE RIPPER featuring John Brookhouse AND What makes a good guitar player?